Diamond Platnumz | English Biography
Born at Amana hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania on 2nd of October 1989 Diamond Platinumz was named Nasibu Abdul Juma. Nasibu grew up in the western part of Tandale where he was living with his mother at his grandmother’s house. His father was not on the picture as a result of unresolved conflict between his parents.
Life in Tandale was hard as his mother had no reliable source of income. Nasibu, his mother and grandmother were forced to share a single room and rent out the remaining two rooms which were initially for Nasibu and his mother in order for them to be able to pay the bills.
Nasibu Chakula Bora Nursery School in 1995 later joined Tandale Magharibi Primary School in 1996 and completed primary school education in 2002. From the time he was in standard five Nasibu showed his interest in music. He spent his formative years imitating local and international artists and singing their songs at different occasions. His mother bought for him albums from different artists and assisted him in writing lyrics for some songs so that he can easily sing them. His mother took him to different talent shows hoping he will get a chance to sing; this was against some family members as they were of the view that music was a waste of time and can never be a career, instead they wanted her to encourage him to concentrate on education. In 2003 Nasibu started his secondary school education; he managed to graduate in 2006. After graduation his life as a musician began officially.
To make it as an Artist was not easy. As Nasibu was trying to raise money for a studio session in 2007, he was forced to engage himself in casual works like selling second hand clothes, filling station attendant, freelancing as a photographer, and any other work in which there was a little money to be earned. There was a time he was involved in illegal gambling; all that for the money to record his first studio single. It was not easy for him to save enough money for one studio session and fend for his family with the money he made. He was forced to sell his mother’s gold ring secretly and use the money to pay for his session. As it was his first time in the studio, the song was not an immediate hit but it opened doors for him and marked the beginning of his journey as a bongo flava music artist.
Through that song Nasibu met Chizo Mapene who volunteered to be his Manager supervising all his music works. The agreement was for them to do an album but unfortunately money became a problem and their working relationship came to an end without releasing that album. Dreams were shattered and royalty was tested; relationships came to an end and friends became strangers. Nasibu could not get a studio to sign him, his girlfriend left him telling him that she cannot be with someone who cannot provide for her; a dreamer who think that he will be one among the great musicians in Tanzania living the life of a Star.
In 2009 Diamond met Msafiri Peter aka Papaa Misifa who agreed to provide financial support in nurturing Diamond’s talent. They recorded his first single titles “Nenda Kamwambie” which was a dedication to his girlfriend who left him when he had nothing. That was the song which opened doors for Diamond in the music industry.
Albums and Releases
2010: KAMWAMBIE [Debut Album] The first studio album of Diamond which was released on 14.02.2010.
Songs: 1. Kamwambie 2. Mbagala 3. Nitarejea 4. Nalia na Mengi 5. Binadamu 6. Nakupa 7. Uko Tayari 8. Wakunesanesa 9. Toka Mwanzo 10. Jisachi.
2012: LALA SALAMA. The Album sold more than 120,000 copies (A record no other album managed to reach in sales. It was released on 01.01.2012.
- Nataka Kulewa – 2012
- Kesho – 2012
- Number One – July 2013
- Number One Remix (Featuring Davido) – January 2014
- Malaria no More Ambassador [Tanzania] – 2010
- Coca Cola Brand Ambassador [Tanzania] – 2013
Tours and Concerts
- CCM Presidential Campaign Tour 2010 [Tanzania] – Official Entertainer
- United Kingdom Tour 2010 – London, Milton, Keynes and Coventry
- Diamonds are Forever (Corporate Concert in Tanzania) 2012
- Europe Tour 2012 – Italy, Holland, Sweden, Greece
- Midle East Tour 2012 – Musqat, Oman
- USA Tour 2012
- East and Central Africa Tour 2013 – Kenya, Burundi, Congo
Awards and Recognitions
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Best Upcoming Artist 2010
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Song of the Year (KAMWAMBIE) 2010
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Best R&B Song of the Year (KAMWAMBIE) 2010
- MTV Base MAMAs Awards [Nigeria] – Best Upcoming Artist 2010
- Nzumari Music Awards [Kenya] – Best Male Artist from Tanzania 2011
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Best Male Composer 2012
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Video of the Year 2012
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Best Male Entertainer 2012
- Nzumari Music Awards [Kenya] – Best Male Artist from Tanzania 2012
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Best Male Artist (Bongo Flava) 2013
- Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards – Best Male Artist (Overall) 2013